Monday, May 6, 2013

Sewing with Knits--Frustration Free!

After sewing with knits for quite a while now, I've learned a few of tips of what makes sewing with knits, a frustration free experience. Today, I'm going to share those tips with you.

Let's start with the technical stuff. To sew knits, you will at least need:

-a sewing machine that can do different stitches (zig-zag or straight stitch)
-double needles (ball point work best, but regular ones work too!)
-a walking foot

Optional:
-a serger (which cuts the sewing time in half, when working with knits!)




The double needles make two rows of parallel stitches on the front of the fabric and a zig-zag pattern on the reverse, which is good because the stitching stretch with the fabric. This stitching prevents the seam from looking wavy.

The walking foot, provides an even feed of the fabric when sewing stretchy fabric (such as the knits). This is important because if the fabric stretches as you sew, it will look wavy when you finish and we don't want that. Right?


When sewing knits, you can either use the straight stitch or a zig-zag stitch. Some sewing machines have specific stitches for knit fabrics and sewing elastics, so be sure to check your manual.

A serger is not necessary, but it does help when sewing knits because it sews and overlocks the seams in one pass and it takes a lot less time, than if you sew it with a regular machine. It makes my life a lot easier!

Here are some pictures of how I  hemmed the knit raglan shirt I made for my son.
Before

After! See how professional the hem looks with the double needle (by the way, I used regular double needles, not ball point). 
Hemming the sleeves


Here is the finished shirt!!!



And I made one for my daughter too (the pink one), but I made it a little too big for her, so I'll save it until she can wear it. 



And here is the final product! Doesn't it look good on my son. I just love the teal color on him :)


Want to see what I make with the rest of my knit fabric?

Stay tuned!!!

Linked here:


Photobucket    photo blogbutton_zpsb1fa0f6d.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Cute! I'm fairly new to sewing with knits, I have a double needle and use it for hemming, but I was wondering, do you use it for your seams too? I just use one needle and zigzag to finish it off. A serger is something I am definitely saving my pennies for :)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber,

    For the seams you could use only one needle with a zig-zag stitch. The double needle is important for the hem because it makes it look flat and more professional. I know sergers are expensive, but it do recommend buying one when you have the chance. It will make your sewing experience (specially with knits)more frustration free.

    Thanks for your comment and let me know if you have other questions :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go knit shopping!! I have so many cotton prints, but my knit pile consists of about a half dozen choices. BOOOOOO! It seems like I have a ton of trouble finding it in store here so I've started branching out to the online stores. I'll have to check out girl charlee, thanks!

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem Mae. That's why I started shopping online for knits. Thanks for stopping by my blog :D

      Delete
  4. I love the chevron on your son! I've got the same print left over from a dress I made my daughter...looks like my boy may be getting a shirt to coordinate! Ha! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Nichole! I'm glad I inspired you :D

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!